Charlotte Engineers is seeking an individual to assist us in the commissioning of mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and fire protection/detection (MEP/FP) systems in large commercial/institutional projects. The position will also include assistance in construction administration and construction inspections on MEP/FP systems. Projects include renovations and new construction.
Primary responsibilities include the following:
- Reviewing and understanding MEP/FP plans and specifications.
- Monitoring progress of construction projects.
- Hands-on inspection and evaluation of installed equipment.
- Identifying and reporting on deficiencies found during visits to project sites.
- Tracking and documenting construction progress.
- Assisting in the resolution of on-site issues.
- Development of commissioning-related documentation (checklists, test plans, reports, etc.).
- Execution of commissioning-related tests on installed systems.
The duties and expectations of this position will be tailored to the applicant’s experience level. The ideal candidate will have many or all the following qualifications:
- Degree in mechanical or electrical engineering is favorable but not required. Applicants with non-engineering backgrounds with the appropriate construction/field experience are encouraged to apply. Emphasis may be placed on experience and ability to perform the objectives of the position over educational background.
- Knowledge of the A/E and construction industries is preferred. Ideal candidate will have 2-5+ years of experience in engineering, commissioning, or construction inspection experience, however, entry level candidates will be considered.
- In-depth knowledge of MEP/FP systems (HVAC, building automation systems, power, lighting, plumbing, fire alarm, sprinkler, etc.) is preferred. However, entry level applicants will be considered and will be trained as needed.
- Knowledge of relevant codes and industry best practices is preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Must be proficient in Microsoft Office suite. Fluent English speaking and writing is required. Ability to maintain detailed written records of day-to-day activities is critical.
- Ability to work on several projects simultaneously and efficiently while maintaining superior work product.
- Must be comfortable with using basic hand tools, meters, monitoring equipment, and instrumentation.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced work environment that may change from day to day.
Other details related to this position:
- Applicant may be at project sites or on-site meetings approximately 2-4 days per week. Projects are typically within 2.5-hour radius of Charlotte, NC. The remainder of the time will be spent in the office located in Charlotte, NC.
- The normal office hours are 8:00am to 5:00pm, however, this position will occasionally require working outside of those hours as needed to meet project requirements.
- Applicants must have a driver’s license and reliable transportation. Use of personal vehicle is required (mileage will be reimbursed for out-of-town trips).
- Applicants must be comfortable working on active construction sites. Must be able to stand/walk for several hours at a time, climb/descend ladders, and move safely over uneven terrain or in confined spaces. Some projects may require time spent outdoors in rain/snow or extreme heat/cold.
PLEASE NOTE: It is preferred that all candidates are local to Charlotte, NC area. The position is based out of our office located in Charlotte and will require regular travel to project sites throughout NC/SC. Telecommuting or otherwise working off site is not possible with this position. There will be no relocation assistance provided.
Most of the on-site work is in occupied healthcare facilities where strict COVID-19 protocols must be followed based on each facility’s specific requirements.
Charlotte Engineers offers competitive pay and benefits including 401K, health, dental and vision insurance.